Today, IBM Storage is announcing a wide-ranging set of innovations to our software-defined storage (SDS), data protection and storage systems portfolio.
Driven by the exponential volumes of data growth and the underlying value in this huge treasure trove of information, many 21st century enterprises are moving quickly to modernize their traditional IT infrastructures while taking advantage of multi-cloud architectures and AI applications. Continuing IBM investments in enhancing our SDS, data protection and storage systems capabilities, these announcements demonstrate IBM’s commitment to IBM storage solutions as the foundation for multi-cloud and cognitive/AI applications and workloads.
“As data has become the driving force behind successful companies, clients derive business value using analytics and AI technologies on a multi-cloud infrastructure that is flexible and agile,” said Ed Walsh, General Manager, IBM Storage and Software-Defined Infrastructure.
“Software-defined storage, modern data protection and all-flash arrays are critical solutions for this journey. With this launch, we are extending their reach to transform on-premises infrastructure to meet these new business imperatives.”
Innovations and enhancements across the IBM Storage portfolio expand the range of data types supported, deliver new function, and enable new technology deployment:
- IBM Spectrum NAS delivers enterprise capabilities and SDS simplicity with cost benefits for common file workloads, including support for Microsoft environments.
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, an easy-to-use backup solution for virtual environments, is improved with enhanced database support and faster restores.
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus provides simple automated data protection and provisioning for VMware in IBM Cloud.
- IBM Spectrum Protect helps address data security concerns with support for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and automated detection and alerting of ransomware.
- IBM Spectrum Storage Suite, a complete solution for software-defined storage needs, gains expanded range and value with the inclusion of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus at no additional charge.
- IBM Spectrum Connect simplifies management in complex server environments by providing a consistent experience when provisioning, monitoring, automating and orchestrating IBM storage in containerized, VMware and Microsoft PowerShell environments.
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize helps lower data storage costs with new and better performing data reduction technologies for the IBM Storwize family, IBM SAN Volume Controller (SVC) and IBM FlashSystem V9000, as well as for over 440 multi-vendor storage systems.
- IBM Cloud Object Storage addresses client needs for unstructured data in regulated industries with FIPS PUB 140-2 support and SEC 17a-4(f) and CFTC 1.31(c)-(d) compliance assessment from Cohasset Associates.
- IBM Storage Utility Offering usage-based pricing now enables switching costs from a CAPEX-centric model to an OPEX paradigm for on-premises IBM Cloud Object Storage.
- IBM Hyper-Scale Mobility enables migration from XIV Gen3 systems to all-flash IBM FlashSystem A9000/R without application and workload disruption.
- IBM FlashSystem 900 helps better meet demanding application requirements with lower latency storage access through support for Infiniband NVMe over Fabric.
- Forward-looking planning statements help inspire confidence for organizations acquiring storage systems by demonstrating how storage systems available today will be enhanced in the future with a new NVMe over Fabric networking capability through coming releases of IBM Spectrum Virtualize and IBM Spectrum Accelerate.
“With advances in artificial intelligence (AI), businesses are able to leverage data more effectively than ever to become both more efficient and more effective,” said Scott Sinclair, ESG Senior Analyst.
“As data becomes more closely tied to business success, the importance of an optimized storage infrastructure increases significantly. Software-defined storage (SDS) technology, such as IBM’s Spectrum Storage — recently boosted with a number of significant new capabilities — plays a pivotal role in delivering the requisite infrastructure flexibility that can enable IT to keep pace with the business’s demand for data.”
With these innovations, IBM is expanding the scope of software-defined storage solutions, data protection and all-flash arrays in addressing even more use cases, adding key new capabilities and leveraging our leadership in the storage market (as the #2 storage software company in the world) to offer even more competitive advantage to our clients. This level of storage innovation is critical to driving your 21st century business.
Note: IBM’s statements regarding its plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice at IBM’s sole discretion. Information regarding potential future products is intended to outline our general product direction and it should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision. The information mentioned regarding potential future products is not a commitment, promise, or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality. Information about potential future products may not be incorporated into any contract. The development, release, and timing of any future features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion.
IBM Deutschland GmbH
Telefon: +49 (7034) 15-0
Telefax: +49 (711) 785-3511
Telefon: +49 (7034) 151887