In October 2017, an initiative was launched by the Vice-President of the EU Commission Maroš Šefčovič, to build a Battery Alliance with all players in the European value chain. TerraE is part of this Battery Alliance.
The main objectives of the action plan are:
- Ensuring access to raw materials
- Support the production of European battery cells on a large scale and a complete competitive value chain in Europe
- Strengthening the leadership role of industry through increased support for research and innovation in the EU
- Build and strengthen a highly skilled workforce for all parts of the battery value chain
- Support the sustainability of the battery cell manufacturing industry in the EU
- Ensuring coherence with the general EU and regulatory framework
The Commission continues to call on the EU actors involved in the "European Battery Alliance" to promote the industry-led initiatives and projects and implement it in order to create a competitive battery value chain in Europe;
It also calls on the participating Member States to
- Provide support for industry-led projects in the field of battery cell manufacturing or other parts of the supply chain whenever indicated by means of national instruments and/or appropriate EU funding mechanisms for which they are responsible (e.g. structural Funds);
- Simplify and accelerate approval and approval procedures (environment, manufacturing, construction) for pilot lines and relevant industry projects.
The CEO of TerraE, Holger Gritzka, on the initiative of the European Commission: "It is highly welcome that the EU Commission has recognized the importance of a functioning, innovative and sustainable eco-system for the production of battery cells in Europe, and that the EU Commission will create the political and financial framework for a successful implementation. TerraE is already coordinating a consortium of 19 European companies and institutes with the aim of producing battery cells in large-scale production in Europe."
BMZ Batterien-Montage-Zentrum GmbH
Am Sportplatz 28
Telefon: +49 (6188) 9956-0
Telefax: +49 (6188) 9956-900
Head of Global Marketing & Communication
Telefon: +49 (6188) 9956-770